22 May 2019
sponsored by RIFT R&D
Cable Free with Oasis PowerStation - submitted by Advanté Limited
Advanté's client, Willmott Dixon, has rolled out a cable-free initiative across all their projects, as they found on-site incidents were significantly reduced when using battery-powered tools instead of cabled tools.
To support this initiative, sites required a safe environment for charging multiple batteries and/or electrical equipment to support them in meeting their safety and sustainability targets.
They worked closely with Willmott Dixon to identify the issues faced when using cordless power tools or other electric devices/machinery on site, in order to create a solution. Some of the on-site problems faced included:
- Trip hazards from trailing leads to different power points or charging facilities across site
- Interrupted works when installing or moving charging facilities around site
- Increased costs due to the installation and PAT testing of multiple charging facilities on site
- Risk of theft or damage to tools or batteries left in open charging spaces
Advanté's Oasis PowerStation is their solution for clients who are moving towards a cable-free working environment to create safer and greener construction sites. The Oasis PowerStation:
- Supports emission-free works on site including electric vehicles, plant and machinery
- Supports aims to reduce carbon footprint
- Meets Considerate Constructors best practice
The power features of this unit include:
- 36 x separate powered lockers with 230v RCD double sockets inside each locker
- 1 x 110v external charge point
- 2 x 240v external electric vehicle-style charge points
- All electrics have been wired to a consumer unit that is fitted with RCD and MCB to current I.E.T. Regulations. The unit’s electrical system has been specially designed for this application, to remove nuisance tripping caused by battery chargers in some instances.
- Provides the solution to a cable-free working environment on site
- Eradicates trip hazards caused by trailing cables
- Charges multiple battery-powered tools or machinery, as well as electric vehicles
For more details:
The SECBE 2019 Innovation Award is sponsored by RIFT R&D.